We believe that it is important to invest in and equip leaders and that is what we aim to do.
One of the books that started to shape PiXL at its inception was The Four Disciplines of Execution by Covey et al. That book contains some approaches which PiXL have adapted for use in school leadership. We know that the execution is as important as the vision, and we have leadership tools to help you do that.
At PiXL, we believe in the importance of setting a Wildly Important Goal (WIG), doing a pre-mortem, addressing leadership behaviours which will help you achieve the WIG, and personalised support for you to get there. Leadership is about creating buy-in from stakeholders, creating winning moments and a culture of celebration of what has been achieved, as well as getting the balance between high care and high challenge. In every national conference, associate visit and Networking Hub, you will hear the messages about leadership coming through. If we want to have the impact that we desire in our schools, for the sake of our young people, then our leadership is key.
There are many different leadership development opportunities that you can access as part of your subscriptions such as:
Partnership with leadership authors and thinkers
We think it is important that we sharpen our own thinking on leadership by reading the latest thinking and research in this area. We are delighted to be working with renowned leadership authors and speakers such as Matthew Syed, Steve Munby, Jaz Ampaw-Farr, Damian Hughes and Ethan Kross.
The School of PiXL Leadership
One of the ways we do this is through our School of PiXL Leadership, which offers leadership development opportunities as part of the subscription and also additional opportunities at an extra cost.
As part of the subscription, all PiXL schools have access to leadership-focused special events like 'In Conversation With...' and bespoke offers each year.
Secondary and Post 16 PiXL schools have access to Engagement Leadership, which is a course about the PiXL Principles in currency (improving outcomes) and character and culture (improving life chances).
1. PiXL Pearls
Reflection is an important part of leadership, so we provide you with PiXL Pearls. These are short reflections about leadership. We have four full series ready for you to catch up on, with new episodes coming soon! Available wherever you enjoy your podcasts.
This podcast has also been hugely popular. If you would like to hear how school leaders have taken non-educational leadership books and used them in their contexts, then click the title and listen.
The additional School of PiXL Leadership courses are as follows, and are low-cost enhancement opportunities for PiXL members. Sessions contain a mixture of presentations from experienced leaders, small group discussions, practical top tips and an opportunity to build your professional network:
• Raising Standards Leader Programme: looking at the most effective leadership approaches and behaviours that lead to real impact as an RSL. A blend of theory and practical detail, this course is a must for any new RSL or for anyone who wants to re-visit their role.
• Exceptional Senior Leaders’ Programme: an innovative leadership programme aimed at aspiring and practising Deputy Headteachers. Previous delegates’ feedback has been that this course has honed their leadership skills in both current and future roles – many have gone on to Headship and are part of our alumni network.
• New Middle Leader Programme: for colleagues who are brand new to middle leadership and those who have been in post for less than two years.
• Established Middle Leader Programme: for middle leaders who have been in their current role for 2-5 years and who might be aspiring to Senior Leadership roles in the next few years.
• Making Change Leader: a comprehensive digital course for those responsible for supporting students to change their habits, attitudes, effort and behaviours.
• Headteacher Coaching: We know that being a Headteacher at the moment has some fairly unprecedented challenges, and we want to support you. Led by accredited coaches, the sessions are for you to bring whatever challenge or issue you want to discuss and work through it with your coach.
If you are not yet a member of PiXL but would like to be part of these new headteacher groups this year, do contact email@example.com for a discussion.